<AWT Dev> Render Buffer memory usage question.

Artem Ananiev artem.ananiev at oracle.com
Tue Apr 26 03:22:51 PDT 2011

On 4/25/2011 11:44 PM, Dmitriy Likhten wrote:
> I’ve been looking around for knowledge on this, I figured the guys
> implementing might know a bit about it J Hopefully you guys can help out.
>
> Basically I have multiple JFrames with a single buffer strategies. I

I don't quite get what is "multiple JFrames with a single buffer
strategies". createBufferStrategy() API is per-Window, so if you have N
windows, you also have N BufferStrategy instances.

> would like to know how I can determine how much memory would be required
> just to render the buffers for those frames in Windows XP/7. The setups
> will most likely have 2-6 monitors and window sizes can be anywhere from
> a small window, to a maximized, to stretched across 6 monitors. Given
> total desktop resolution, window sizes, window positions, etc, is there
> a good strategy I can use to approximate with maybe 70%+ fidelity how
> much ram will be needed to render the windows? I would like to keep the
> ram requirements to the bare minimum (flexible but the less the better)
> needed without hitting any sort of thrashing (if that is an issue).

Why do you need this information? AWT/Swing apps don't have direct
control over BufferStrategy: you can draw to it, but cannot control if
it uses video memory, system memory, when it gets lost, etc.

Adding 2d-dev alias to CC as BufferStrategy class are mostly Java2D objects.

Thanks,

Artem