Review request: JDK-8080108: [TEST_BUG] ERROR: No IPv6 address returned from platform

Alexander Fomin alexander.fomin at oracle.com
Tue Aug 4 12:53:04 UTC 2015

Hi Chris

On 04.08.2015 13:29, Chris Hegarty wrote:
> Alexander,
>
> Wow, that's a lot of boiler plate for a manual test. Surely a
> README.txt, or similar would be sufficient?
>
> I noticed that with your changes, now this test has a dependency on
> the jdk.desktop module ( imports from java.awt.* ). Is it really
> necessary to have a dialog window pop-up?

     With the current process manual tests without a dialog window with
instruction and PASS/FAIL buttons will be, actually, skipped.
     The manual tests aren't run one by one. The regression manual
testing is started with the command like:

..\bin\jtreg -v -m -ignore:quiet -jdk:<path to JDK> -r:<path to reprot
dir> -w:<path to workDir>

that run all manual test. So, nobody will read all README.txt files for
all tests before run, right?

     With the command above, if we have some manual test with the only
README.txt and without dialog window, the test will be run by jtreg
automatically. In the result the instruction in README.txt will be
skipped and the test will PASS or FAIL automatically (it depends on how
the test is written).   If a such test passed, it doesn't mean that
something has been ever tested. It may pass just because some resources
or properties, required for the test, were absent. If the test FAIL,
well, we may at least do one more iteration to rerun all failed manual
tests one by one following to the instruction in the corresponding
README.txt. But it's too expensive. Usually the failures just reported
by SQE engineers as test bugs.

     BYW, the original test has a readme.txt with instruction. But it
was never run properly.  At least for JDK 9 it was never pass (even on
non Windows systems) because nobody read the README.txt before test
execution, I guess.

     What is the problem with dependency on the jdk.desktop module?
     If we should avoid the dependency and we still wish the tests
without standard dialog windows with test's instructions and PASS/FAIL
buttons were run regularly, we, probably, need to fix jtreg. Currently
jtreg doesn't take into account readme.txt files or provide any
mechanism for manual test run execution. But this jtreg enhancement is
out of scope for the bug I'm trying to fix.

Thanks,
Alexander