Project proposal: fbtoolkit

Jeff Dinkins Jeff.Dinkins at Sun.COM
Thu May 24 11:55:25 UTC 2007

>> Personally I think that the OpenJDK Community should be open to
>> all kinds
>> of interesting experiments.  That's often, after all, the best way to
>> learn things.
>>
> From gcc's experience, having interesting things happen in tree,
> rather than outside it, like it was done with Kaffe, makes it
> easier to merge them back into the main branch, if the experiements
> turn out to be successful, afaict.
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic

In GCC how do they keep track of what is experimental vs. in the main
branch?

Also, at project approval time is it worth tagging items that are pre-
blessed as work that will, or will most likely, go back into the main
tree (example: JSRs, encumbered replacements)? If so who gets to set
the tag or branch location?

Or should all new projects be treated the same and start off in an
incubator branch?

I know, these are really questions for the Governance board to work
out for the constitution. Is this alias a reasonable place for these
issues to come up for the IGB to take back for discussion?

thanks,

jeff