RFR: 8306034: add support of virtual threads to JVMTI StopThread [v8]

Chris Plummer cjplummer at openjdk.org
Wed May 3 03:14:33 UTC 2023

On Wed, 3 May 2023 02:58:21 GMT, Serguei Spitsyn <sspitsyn at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/hotspot/share/prims/jvmti.xml line 1925:
>>
>>> 1923:         <error id="JVMTI_ERROR_OPAQUE_FRAME">
>>> 1924:           The thread is a suspended virtual thread and the implementation was unable
>>> 1925:           to throw an asynchronous exception from this frame.
>>
>> This part no longer has wording similar to the general description of JVMTI_ERROR_OPAQUE_FRAME below. Maybe that was understood and intended when the rewording was done. Just want to make sure you are aware of it.
>
> What part of the statement does not match?
> Should we say "from the current frame" instead of "from this frame"?
>
> The general description has this:
>  "... or the function cannot be performed on the thread's current frame."

They are both trying to convey the same thing, but using completely different wording to do so.  One says "the implementation was unable to throw an asynchronous exception", and the other says "the function cannot be performed". One says "from this frame", and the other says "on the thread's current frame". The meaning is the same, but the wording should be consistent.