<i18n dev> Codereview request for 4153167: separate between ANSI and OEM code pages on Windows

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Mon Feb 13 15:16:21 PST 2012

On 2/13/2012 11:07 AM, Bill Shannon wrote:
> Thanks for fixing this!
>
>> The webrev is at
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/4153167/webrev
>
> You probably don't need to malloc 64 bytes for a string that's
> going to be less than 16 bytes.  And shouldn't you use snprintf
> in any event?
>
> Unlike Unix, I assume Windows has no way to have multiple "console"
> devices, with stdout and stderr pointing to different devices?
>
> Is the console the only device that's FILE_TYPE_CHAR?  Are there no
> serial port devices or other devices that are also of that type?

The Windows API doc says "LPT device or a console". The wiki's LPT
section suggests
it should also use IBM style extended ASCII cs, so I would assume it's
fine to use the
oem code page, if there is any > LPT usage.
*
LPT* (Line Print Terminal or Local Print Terminal) is the original, and
still common, name
of the parallel port <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_port>
interface on IBM PC-compatible
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_compatible> computers