Supported Eclipse versions in JMC 7.1.0.

Marcus Hirt marcus.hirt at oracle.com
Wed Feb 27 12:54:39 UTC 2019

Hi Mario,

I think keeping DS working in the base platform is a compelling reason. :)
Also, it only affects the RCP application builds. The decision around how
often these kind of breakages are allowed to happen was taken by Eclipse
when they started revving the minor releases every few months. I agree
it's a bit of a pain, and hopefully there will not be too much of that
happening, but it's pretty hard to tell at this point.

Kind regards,
Marcus

On 2019-02-27, 13:46, "Mario Torre" <neugens at redhat.com> wrote:

    On Mon, 2019-02-25 at 17:46 +0100, Marcus Hirt wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > This is all under the assumption that we want to use the latest and
    > greatest
    > Eclipse platform when shipping a new stand-alone version of JMC. I
    > think we
    > want to; I already know fixes in 4.10 that we'd want.

    I know Eclipse is now all about fast releases, and the world in general
    seems crazy about this, but for packaging it's really difficult to keep
    up when release move too fast.

    I think we should try to set a pace for releases so we know what we
    need to do when and what to expect, in other words fix on a specific
    version fo Eclipse (which is the base version, doesn't mean it's the
    only one that works) and ensure things work in that version until a
    major release ship (7.x then 8.x). I'm ok if this means some downstream
    decides to build with a different version of Eclipse (maybe the
    latest), but upstream should have a minimum requirement that is stable
    across all the minor release train.

    I thererefore would like to keep the current version of Eclipse (I
    think it's Photon?) as the minimum supported unless there's a *very*
    compelling reason not to.

    Cheers,
    Mario
    --