[security-dev 01125]: Re: 6840752: Provide out-of-the-box support for ECC algorithms

Vincent Ryan Vincent.Ryan at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 27 13:13:39 UTC 2009

Hello Andrew,

Our original intention was to provide a Java implementation of ECC.

However due to software patents already granted for ECC we were
constrained in what we could reasonably resource and openly discuss.

In the end we opted to reuse the NSS code from OpenSolaris (which was
originally developed at Sun Labs and donated to OpenSSL and NSS).

Although, on many non-Windows platforms, this does result in an existing
system library being replicated in the JDK perhaps that issue can be
solved in future by making use of modules.