no PTR is needed for TGS-Req in openjdk7?

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 06:31:14 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 04:30 PM, Weijun Wang wrote:
> Hi Roy
>
> In JDK 6 we canonicalize the service host name before requesting for a
> service ticket. In JDK 7 we don't, for security reasons, see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4120#section-1.3. But I don't see how it
> affects locating the KDC.
>

> Another change is that we always use DNS to locate a KDC if there is
> none in krb5.conf, i.e. dns_lookup_kdc's default value is now regarded
> true.
>
> Can you be more specific? tcp dumps are always welcomed.

Attached 2 dumps for each jdk.

My krb5.conf has dns_lookup_kdc = true and my KDC is also specified in
the domain section.

We have an active directory server which is also the DNS server. The SRV
records are all fine and point to the right KDC and LDAP.

Resolving the KDC address is not a problem but we must have back
resolving too (as for jdk6...). To do that I have put a record in my
/etc/hosts 10.35.64.1 xxqa1.qa.lab###. I'm intentionally putting a wrong
record off course, just to proof the behavior.

look at the dumps and you will see that jdk6 used the record in
/etc/hosts in the KDC_REQ_BODY  so the request is for server
ldap/xxqa1.qa.lab### and jdk7 just uses the correct ldap/qa1.qa.lab####