Code review request, 7188658 Add possibility to disable client initiated renegotiation

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Wed Jun 19 04:04:05 UTC 2013

On 6/19/2013 10:50 AM, Brad Wetmore wrote:
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> Two comments about the property name.
>
> I don't see the jdk.tls *System* Property prefix used anywhere else,
> except as a *Security* properties:
>
>     jdk.tls.rejectClientInitializedRenego
>
> Otherwise, I think we should stick to one of the current namespace.
>
>     jsse.               (my preference since this is expected across
>                          other JDKs)
>     sun.security.ssl.

At the beginning, I use the prefix "jsse.*". But it is rejected (CCC)
because the system property has no effect on other providers. Now, two
styles are acceptable. "jdk.*" is for JDK properties, and "jsse.*" is
used when other parties also should follow it. "sun.security.ssl" is
deprecated, I think.

> Regarding rejectClientInitializedRenego, I think the word "Initiated"
> more succinctly captures the intent of this property, rather than
> "Initalized."  And as long as the word "Renegotiation" is, it should
> probably be spelled out completely.  AFAIK, we rarely abbreviate
> external names like this.
>
> Same "initiated" comment about the variable name in your codereview, but
> I don't care much about Renogo.

I prefer "Initiated" to "Initalized".  Let's make the update in another
update.

> ServerHandshaker.java
> =====================
> 283:  My initial thought was a no_renegotiation(100) warning, but that
> allows the client to decide what to do, rather than the server terminating.

No, we cannot.  First of all, warning message is not very useful because
in general the sending party cannot know how the receiving party behave.
 Secondly, it is the expected behavior to *reject" client initiated
renegotiation. It is the server who should make the decision, but not
the client.

> This TLS logic decision is not straightforward, so this needs commenting.

I think "reject client initialized renegotiation" has say all. ;-) I
will add words about "state != HandshakeMessage.ht_hello_request".

> 379:  since you're making changes here.
>
>   response->respond

OK.

> Since you already have CCC approval and are ready to putback, I would
> suggest putting back now, and let's file another CCC to change the name.
>  That should be a no-brainer.

OK.

Thanks,
Xuelei