Code review request, 7188658 Add possibility to disable client initiated renegotiation

Bernd Eckenfels bernd-2013 at eckenfels.net
Fri Jun 28 00:05:06 UTC 2013

Am 28.06.2013, 01:51 Uhr, schrieb Xuelei Fan <xuelei.fan at oracle.com>:
> "Please don't send a no_renegotiation warning alert. Warning message is
> not very useful because in general the sending party cannot know how the
> receiving party behave.  The server side need to reject client initiated
> renegotiation proactively."

Just for the record, I totally disagree. I would make the option a multi
value like "accept(default)|ignore|reject". Because you never can know how
the other side reacts. Ignoring renego requests is totally safe in the
spec and in a situation where you chose to turn off renogotiation by
clients you can have only two things:

a) clients continue to work when you ignore them
b) clients break

If you always terminate the connection there is no chance for some clients
to keep working.

Today you can already achieve the termination of connection (by disabling
all ciphersuites after initial handshake). You dont need to add code if
you dont offer more (i.e. ignore) options.

Greetings
Bernd

PS: and regarding the naming a question, is "JSSE" the name of the Sun
implementaion or of the Specification?
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net