RFR: JDK-8178278 Move Standard Algorithm Names document to specs directory

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Tue May 9 12:21:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-06 02:22, Brad R. Wetmore wrote:
> I applied the patch to the jdk workspace and verified that all of the
> instances were updated to
> {@docRoot}/../specs/security/standard-names.html, and that no links
> remain to the old StandardNames.html.
>
> Sean wrote:
>
> > General: change the text of all of the links from "Java Cryptography
> > Architecture Standard Algorithm Name Documentation" (the old name) to
> > "Java Security Standard Algorithm Names Specification".
>
> +1

I've updated the name in all places that I could find.

> Can you add similar wording to that effect in DrbgParameters.java?

I'm sorry, that instruction is too unclear for me. :-( The main purpose
of this patch is to prepare for the markdown based specification, not
fixing the entire content. I'll leave modification of the actual
documentation to the component owners.

> jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/java/security/cert/CertPathValidator.java
>
> 155-156, 193-194:  extra spaces at beginning of line.
Fixed.

> jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/javax/crypto/Cipher.java
>
> 153:  Why did you choose to use "Cipher Algorithm Names" instead of
> Cipher Algorithms?  None of the other sections use "Names".

I did not choose that, that's what the section is called in the document
(and has been since at least JDK 8). The difference here is that the
anchor links are named after the actual headings in the document, not
arbitrarily named anchors (for better and for worse).

> Can you add a link in the JSSE KeyManagerFactory class description to
> the standard names sections for KeyManagerFactory's?  Even though we
> don't require any currently, we should probably point to the names
> anyway.

I'll give you the same reply here as for DrbgParameters.java: I don't
know enough about the domain to be able to do this job properly. Please
file a follow-up bug and fix it yourself, or assign to someone who knows.

Updated webrev: (contains whitespace fixes and rename of document, but
only the jdk repo)

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8178278-standard-names-spec-as-markdown/webrev.02

/Magnus

/Magnus