SSLLogger.java (was Re: Code Review Request: TLS 1.3 Implementation)

Weijun Wang weijun.wang at oracle.com
Wed Jun 6 23:21:50 UTC 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 12:27 AM, Xuelei Fan <xuelei.fan at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/6/2018 5:41 AM, Weijun Wang wrote:
>> There are lots of calls like
>>    RSAClientKeyExchangeMessage ckem =
>>            new RSAClientKeyExchangeMessage(shc, message);
>>    if (SSLLogger.isOn && SSLLogger.isOn("ssl,handshake")) {
>>        SSLLogger.fine(
>>            "Consuming RSA ClientKeyExchange handshake message", ckem);
>>    }
>> which finally calls to
>>    String formatted =
>>         SSLSimpleFormatter.formatParameters(params);
>>    logger.log(level, msg, formatted);
>> Now that msg contains no placeholder likes "{0}", nothing on temporary will be shown.
> I did not catch you here. SSLSimpleFormatter is a package private class (SSLLogger#SSLSimpleFormatter), which does not use placeholder in msg.

I see.

BTW, at the beginning of SSLLogger, there is

String p = GetPropertyAction.privilegedGetProperty("javax.net.debug");
if (p != null) {
    if (p.isEmpty()) {
        property = "";
        logger = System.getLogger("javax.net.ssl");
    } else {

Will this "p.isEmpty()" ever happen? I cannot find a place when only SSLLogger.isOn is checked but not SSLLogger.isOn("something").

Thanks
Max