Code Review Request: TLS 1.3 Implementation

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Fri Jun 15 17:00:14 UTC 2018

On 6/15/2018 9:27 AM, Anthony Scarpino wrote:
> On 06/15/2018 06:53 AM, Xuelei Fan wrote:
>> SSLCipher.java
>> --------------
>> In the implementation, the key usage impacts the write side only.   I
>> think the read side should also limit the key usage.
>
> I remember it being discussed many many months ago we at first planned
> to do the read side, but then decided it was not necessary.  Are we
> changing the decision?

It is a little bit tricky that the key and iv update triggers the write
side key/iv update only.  If the peer does not implement the key usage
limit, and the local read a large bunch of data, there is a risk to
exceed the key usage limit.  It might worthy an improvement by adding
the read side key usage limit later.

>> The crypto limit issues applies to TLS 1.2 and prior versions as well.
>
> I know we talked about doing this but I believe we decided against doing
> this because in prior versions can ignore HelloRequest and other
> complications that could cause sessions to be disconnected.  I think it
> was also a nice to have but 1.3 was more important, prior version could
> be done later.

Yes, we can do it later.

I added a track in the JBS:

Xuelei