Java SSLSocketChannel/SSLSelector?

Andi Mullaraj andimullaraj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 22:18:19 UTC 2019

Hi David,

Thanks for following up. Addressing your questions and statements

1. Then your selector can only be used for SSL things.

The SSLSelector I am proposing may select on (plain)
SocketChannels/ServerSocketChannels, (secure)
SSLSocketChannels/SSLServerSocketChannels, and any mixture of them.

2. What if someone decides to take the exact same approach to solve some
other higher-OSI-layer protocol decoding? Now you have to choose which kind
of protocol you want your selector to support.

They create their own selector. I have hard time imagining one selector
implementation being able to support various protocols at once. In the
current discussion (and if one day this or a similar implementation makes
it into jdk), the selector provider will know how to create (plain)
SocketChannels as well as (secure) SSLSocketChannels.

3. Note that with a plain selector and plain sockets, you *need* a thread
to support the event loop anyway, I mean it has to run somewhere.

I don't have enough knowledge here, but I am thinking it will depend on the
OS ... if the OS provides similar hooks, then I'd say no other threads are
needed -- the thread selecting would be entering a wait() until some
notifier wakes it up ... not vital to the SSL part though.

4. And with SSL, you also need an extra thread or thread pool to handle SSL
authentication tasks, no matter whether you make a subclass of Selector.

True. Resisting the temptation to get into implementation details, I would
say it is the SSLSocketChannel that needs the thread pool (since the calls
to select() should not deal with any crypto etc). In that case the user can
bring its own thread pool (or executor), or use a default one shared by all
channels of that selector provider, depending on their needs.

Best,
--Andi