How about a ToolProvider for jarsigner (and maybe keytool)?

Weijun Wang weijun.wang at oracle.com
Wed Feb 27 08:48:05 UTC 2019

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for looking into this.

We have thought about this several years ago (when ToolProvider was created and javac became a tool) but had decided not to do it.

There were several reasons:

1. These tools have too many functions, esp, keytool.

2. There are user interactions that do not match the ToolProvider style, especially, the password input.

3. A lot of functions are already available through public APIs, for example, verification of signed jars, reading certificates, managing entries in a keystore.

So at last we decided to only extract some
functions (that can only be down with the tool) into individual APIs and let these tools call them. This includes:

1. Signing of jars.

2. Generating certificates and certificate requests.

The first is now a JDK API. The second one is stalled. We are not sure how useful it is and it’s a pain describing X.509 extensions.

Any more discussion is welcome.

Thanks,
Max