AW: RFR 8218723: SecretKeyFactory.getInstance( algo_, provider_ )ignoresthe provider argument.

Bernd Eckenfels ecki at zusammenkunft.net
Thu Mar 14 16:30:52 UTC 2019

Hello,

is there no case where the passed-in key cannot be used by the SunJCE provider? Isnt that a main reason to use an alternative Provider and PKCS11 especially? I think similiar could be said for MSCAPI (but I think they have no keyhandles for secret keys) or other FIPS Keystores which do not allow to Export key material.

One Option would be to make the Mac an Parameter, then at least new Code could specify different implementers. It still would break existing PKCS11 deployments (at least for those where the keymaterial is not exportable)

I would argue that the case when you use a JCE PBKDF2 on a JVM where BC FIPS has higher prio would be wrong anyway.

I thin I havent seen what the case for the init falure in BC MAC was, is this also key related?

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net