AW: RFR 8218723: SecretKeyFactory.getInstance( algo_, provider_ )ignoresthe provider argument.

Jamil Nimeh jamil.j.nimeh at oracle.com
Thu Mar 14 17:12:48 UTC 2019

Hello Bernd, once again I appreciate your comments and have some of my
own in-line,

On 3/14/2019 9:30 AM, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there no case where the passed-in key cannot be used by the SunJCE
> provider? Isnt that a main reason to use an alternative Provider and
> PKCS11 especially? I think similiar could be said for MSCAPI (but I
> think they have no keyhandles for secret keys) or other FIPS Keystores
> which do not allow to Export key material.

JN: Is there no case?  None that I'm aware of, none that have caused any
bugs that I know of - the SecretKey object is made within SunJCE's
PBKDF2KeyImpl code (looks like it is just a SecretKey wrapper around the
password bytes).  It seems like it should work for pretty much any
password handed in AFAICT.

If you were going to have a FIPS keystore come into play, why would you
not use that 3rd party provider for the PBKDF2 SecretKeyFactory in its
entirety?  That way the resulting SecretKey from a generation operation
would hopefully live on the FIPS keystore serviced by that provider.
For SunJCE I think you'd end up having a SecretKey that lived in SunJCE
since you're only going to a 3rd party provider for the HMAC
calculations.  It just feels a little odd to hang a security argument on
a 3rd party provider for HMAC, but be willing to do the encompassing
PBKDF2 on SunJCE.

All that said, I think even if HMAC is obtained from SunJCE, the
underlying MessageDigest probably would come from that 3rd party
provider.  But of course there's no key involved, no init to be done, so
it's less prone to going wonky.

> One Option would be to make the Mac an Parameter, then at least new
> Code could specify different implementers. It still would break
> existing PKCS11 deployments (at least for those where the keymaterial
> is not exportable)

JN: An option, certainly, but one that would mean at least an API change
to PBEKeySpec so the Mac could be passed into the SecretKeyFactory.
That would require much more careful consideration and it would prevent
backporting this bugfix since PBEKeySpec is set in stone for any
released JDK.

> I would argue that the case when you use a JCE PBKDF2 on a JVM where
> BC FIPS has higher prio would be wrong anyway.

JN: Generally yes, but not for a case where you ask explicitly for
PBKDF2 on SunJCE like SecretKeyFactory.getInstance(String algorithm,
String provider).  That's what happened when the bug occurred. While I
don't think it would happen otherwise on BC FIPS (I haven't checked but
I assume it has PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1), it is possible for automatic
selection to land on SunJCE for that SKF algorithm if some other higher
priority provider doesn't have PBKDF2WithHmacSHA1, but does have
HmacSHA1 with some FIPS-like key restrictions (which seems like a
realistic possibility).

> I thin I havent seen what the case for the init falure in BC MAC was,
> is this also key related?

JN: If you look at the original bug the stack trace is there.  In short
BC is throwing org.bouncycastle.crypto.IllegalKeyException because the
key that is being handed to it while running in FIPS mode is less than
112 bits (according to the exception message).