RFR: 8255148: Confusing log output: SSLSocket duplex close failed

Sean Coffey coffeys at openjdk.java.net
Wed Jun 9 16:21:17 UTC 2021

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 14:08:58 GMT, Sean Mullan <mullan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Please review my fix for JDK-8255148 which clarifies when an exception contains debug information only.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Evan
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/ssl/SSLSocketImpl.java line 590:
>
>> 588:             // ignore the exception
>> 589:             if (SSLLogger.isOn && SSLLogger.isOn("ssl")) {
>> 590:                 SSLLogger.warning("SSLSocket duplex close failed. Debug info only. Exception details:", ioe);
>
> If this is a debug message, shouldn't we just use `SSLLogger.fine()` instead of `SSLLogger.warning()`, with the same message "SSLSocket duplex close failed"? @coffeys what do you think?

@seanjmullan  - It's the exception stacktrace printed after the message that's causing issue for some. Some are reading it as a JDK functionality issue (when it's not)

I've no strong preference whether this should be printed at warning() or fine() level. That granularity is largely broken since JDK 11 - people need to use -Djavax.net.debug=all to get any reasonable amount of data. It would be good to see https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8044609 worked on.

I think the patch looks ok as ie. Evan has fixed up some issues with the test - we should expect a new version shortly.