RFR: 8248268: Support KWP in addition to KW [v3]

Valerie Peng valeriep at openjdk.java.net
Thu Mar 25 01:50:44 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 18:39:27 GMT, Greg Rubin <github.com+829871+SalusaSecondus at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Valerie Peng has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Changed AlgorithmParameters impls to register under AES/KW/NoPadding and
>>   AES/KWP/NoPadding
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/com/sun/crypto/provider/AESKeyWrap.java line 41:
>
>> 39:  * and represents AES cipher in KW mode.
>> 40:  */
>> 41: class AESKeyWrap extends FeedbackCipher {
>
> I see lots of unsupported operations and `encrypt/decryptFinal` ignores their output parameters. Should we be extending `FeedbackCipher` if so much doesn't seem to quite fit?

I chose to extend FeedbackCipher since we are supporting KW and KWP as cipher modes and given that FeedbackCipher represents "a block cipher in one of its modes", it seems a natural fit. As for the various unsupported operations, those methods aren't currently used and instead of a no-op, I chose to throw UnsupportedOperationException to prevent future accidental use.