RFR: 8255557: Decouple GCM from CipherCore [v3]

Anthony Scarpino ascarpino at openjdk.java.net
Mon May 24 16:58:15 UTC 2021

On Tue, 18 May 2021 18:38:40 GMT, Valerie Peng <valeriep at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Anthony Scarpino has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   cleanup
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/com/sun/crypto/provider/GHASH.java line 338:
>
>> 336:     public int doFinal(ByteBuffer src, ByteBuffer dst) {
>> 337:         return doFinal(src, src.remaining());
>> 338:     }
>
> Have you considered changing the argument list of existing update/doFinal(...) methods? Less calls.

I had considered it, but there are a number of methods, particularly in the in decrypt operation, where the non-interface methods are called.  I didn't think it was right for all those calls to have "null" and "0" for output arguments they don't use.
It's possible this interface may be not needed with a future Intel intrinsic, so we shall see.