RFR: 8311943: Cleanup usages of toLowerCase() and toUpperCase() in java.base

Glavo duke at openjdk.org
Wed Jul 12 14:35:16 UTC 2023

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:26:03 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I suspect this change to StreamTokenizer needs eyes. I think long standing behavior of the lowerCaseMode(true) has been to use the rules for the default locale so we need to be careful.

I investigated some usage of this method on GitHub:

https://github.com/search?q=%22lowerCaseMode%28true%29%22+language%3AJava&type=code

In the use cases I see, it seems that no one wants to rely on the default locale.

However, while I think this corrects the behavior, this caused a change in the behavior of the API, so a CSR may be required. I don't want to debate this in this PR, so I'll revert this change and open a new PR in the future.