RFR: 8319332: Security properties files inclusion [v13]

Martin Balao mbalao at openjdk.org
Fri May 3 20:30:56 UTC 2024

On Fri, 3 May 2024 19:32:56 GMT, Sean Mullan <mullan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Profiles documentation adjustments.
>>
>>   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari <fferrari at redhat.com>
>>   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mbalao at redhat.com>
>
> src/java.base/share/conf/security/java.security line 50:
>
>> 48: # switch between predefined security profiles on a per-execution basis.
>> 49: # Profile selection may be required or optional depending on the files
>> 50: # layout, as shown in example #3 below.
>
> I feel like this paragraph is better suited to a programmer's guide. I think the text for this property is already quite long, and we should focus mostly on specification and behavior and leave text that sounds like advice or use cases to a programmer's guide, or release note.

Yes, we absolutely agree. This is exactly the reason why we didn't introduce this discussion about profiles and possible file layouts in the _java.security_ file in the first place. As we see it, the documentation in the _java.security_ file should be more concise and focused on syntax and behavior.