RFR: 8319332: Security properties files inclusion [v13]

Martin Balao mbalao at openjdk.org
Fri May 3 20:49:56 UTC 2024

On Fri, 3 May 2024 19:37:02 GMT, Sean Mullan <mullan at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Francisco Ferrari Bihurriet has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Profiles documentation adjustments.
>>
>>   Co-authored-by: Francisco Ferrari <fferrari at redhat.com>
>>   Co-authored-by: Martin Balao <mbalao at redhat.com>
>
> src/java.base/share/conf/security/java.security line 70:
>
>> 68: # an error is thrown and explicit profile selection is required. In order
>> 69: # to override properties defined in this file, the include statement may be
>> 70: # placed at the end.
>
> Same with this paragraph. I think it is ok/useful to include the 3 examples but explaining how one might deploy the include files with FIPS as an example is more for a programming guide. Also, some text is repeated - you already indicated an error is thrown if a file does not exist and the property defaults to the empty string.
>
> The one sentence I found useful is the last one - but I think you could move this as the last sentence of the first paragraph and it would have more impact. I would change "may" to "should".

We completely agree with removing the description of this particular case from the _java.security_ file for the same reasons as before. In regards to the last line, we would remove it as well. It's explained in the first paragraph that included files are _inlined_ into a security properties file. The paragraph continues with a description of what _inlining_ means. The comment about placing the include statement at the end is a particular configuration and can be logically inferred from what _inlining_ is and what the user goals are. I would abstain from recommending particular configurations and let the user make their own analysis and choice. It may be the case that some properties should not be available for profiles and will then be intentionally overwritten in the _java.security_ file after the include statement.