7194449: String resources for Key Tool and Policy Tool should be in their respective packages

Stephen Flores stephen.flores at oracle.com
Tue Oct 2 02:57:46 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 06:29 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 21/09/2012 02:49, Stephen Flores wrote:
>> Max, Sean, Alan,
>>
>> Please review this webrev:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sflores/7194449/webrev-0/
>>
>> Note: I will respond to any comments when I get back from vacation on
>> Monday Oct. 1.
>>
>> Changes:
>>
>> Moved jarsigner and keytool into their own packages as was done
>> for policytool. Unit tests and release.gmk were updated.
>>
>> Static methods in keytool called by jarsigner were moved to
>> sun.security.tools.KeyStoreUtil.
>>
>> Spit out the String resources for keytool and policytool from
>> sun.security.util.Resources into their respective packages.
>>
>> Sean,
>>
>> If everything is OK, can you commit the changes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve.
>>
> I skimmed through this and I'm sure Sean and Max will give it a detailed
> reviewed.
>
> Overall it looks very good to me, the only thing that I'm not sure about
> is the resources for keytool. As they are in sun.security.tools.keytool
> it means they will all need to be included with the tool. If you wanted
> a en_US vs. all split without splitting packages then it would meaning
> moving them again.

Alan,

I am going to take you advice and push back on feature creep, I need to
stick plan we agreed to and that I put in the CR, so I can move back to
complete sun.security.ec decoupling work and I don't think this change
makes it harder for me to move resources or a waste of time later. I
think cleaning up modularity when you can is a good thing.

I am willing help the g18n group with any other work need to just
deliver english when the is a clear plan.

> I agree with Max's question about whether you need to leave a
> sun.security.tools.KeyTool in case anyone invokes it directly (no one
> should be dependent on sun.security.** classes of course but still
> working considering).

I got the impression from you that we would add the later.

> In sun/security/tools/KeyStoreUtil.java then maybe getPassWithModifier
> can use try-with-resources.

I don't understand what you mean by "try-with-resources", I don't think
JarSigner should rely on KeyTool resources, so I copied the 3 resources
it needed from keytool to jarsigner. I feel that even though for time
reasons we did not put the other tools in their own JARs, to code should
not preclude that in the future.

> Is the change to sun/security/tools/keytool/autotest.sh just a merge issue?

When I ran jprt I got the very confusing "Cannot find LIBNAME" message,
libsoftokn3.so, so I just wanted tester's in the future to have correct
message.

Steve.